Wednesday, March 21, 2007

pet food recall lawsuit

Yep. It's that time.
Tennessee
Chicago
Toronto1 (talk of lawsuit)
Toronto2

I'm not going to debate the pros and cons of lawsuits as a form of regulation since the pain, frustration, and anger these people feel is too immense for me to even risk disparaging it with an academic debate on the topic. I've noticed most of the comments of people in this situation indicate that they felt guilty. Some have said that they couldn't help feeling they had "poisoned" their pets. I'd be just totally devasted myself. I'd feel exactly the same way. And I know I'd come out of it looking for my pound of flesh from what seems to be over-consolidated pet food industry.

If my cat didn't need prescription cat food, I'd be looking into making my own cat food at home. There are indeed sites out there with recipes for "homemade" dog and cat food. I'm not posting links because I am not in a position to evaluate the nutritional value of those recipes myself. Most of us aren't - which is why I strongly recommend, if you are considering homemade pet food as an option, you talk very explicitly about it with your vet before hand to ensure such a diet will provide the right amounts and kinds of nutrients your pet needs.

1 comment:

PFG said...

Anonymous (3 I think) wanted me to post a link to a blog with home made pet food recipes. After looking over the blog and seeing no information about where the recipes come from, who moderates or writes the blog, or other information on non-commercial nutrition for pets, I decided I will not post it here. Sorry anonymous.
Here's a short list of reasons why.