Friday, August 18, 2006

You said "fundies"

This is what my sister blurted out when I asked "What? What is so funny" the other night when we were talking. I had made some comment about fundamentalism, referring to those who practice and preach it as "fundies". I was talking away, got several sentences beyond this point when I realized my sister had been laughing for a while.

"You said 'fundies'! bwahahahahahahahahahaha!" Clearly this needed to be addressed for the conversation to continue.

"Yes, I said 'fundies'. That's what they're called," I explained, "It's short for 'fundamentalist'."

She was still laughing. "Fundies are underwear for two people!" More laughter.

The woman had a point. "Ok, yes. Fundies means underwear for two and fundamentalists," I said. This made her laugh more. "Settle down Beavis."

Later, when I was recounting this conversation to some friends, I discovered "underwear for two" was not only not the most salient meaning of the word "fundies", it was in fact an entirely unknown, unexplored idea. My sample was a mixed age group out for margaritas for A___'s b-day.

Janice, a 50 something who protested the vietnam war, played in a band, and lobbied as a single mother against housing discrimination in the 70s (she ain't no square), had no idea what underwear for two were, that they ever existed, or that they were called "fundies".

Scott, a 24 year old sorta hippie grad student from the south had not heard of the word (except to describe fundamentalists) or the concept. He wanted to know how the two people would be positioned in underwear for two. "Can they stand in any orientation? I mean, can they be facing away from each other?" "Like spooning?" I asked. "Yeah that too..." he said but apparently he was envisioning several positions which I, being constrained by knowledge of the actual construction of fundies (the underwear), would not have envisioned.

We debated how underwear for two might be constructed so as to allow for these variations. Side by side Fundies? Could they exist? "Oh so you mean like "hole, hole, hole......Hole?" I said, gesturing so as to place my hypothetical leg holes into a straight line over the salsa cup and salt crusted glasses between us, not sure if there should be three or four leg openings in this creation. "Yeah!" said Scott, "Exactly!"

T___, a 30 year old student born and raised in Japan, had never heard of this concept but was immediately quite taken with it. He kept repeating "hole, hole, hole....hole" and laughing uncontrollably.

Janice accused me of making this up. "No, really! Underwear for two exists, it is called "fundies", it allows two people to stand facing one another or front to back while wearing the same pair of underwear. It does not allow two people to stand side to side as it's only hole, hole."
"Hole.....hole!" T___ promptly added.

"Fuck it, I'm googling 'Fundies' and I'll send you a picture" I announced.

So here it is. The google results are in. If you google fundies + definition, the first hit is a definition for fundamentalism. If you google just fundies, the first hit is underwear for two.

No comments: