Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Steamy hot grads

It's hot and humid here and I still have my unfever.

"What's an 'unfever'?" you ask. That's when your temperature is 100 but it's not a fever. According to the doctor at the infirmary, although your normal body temperature might well be only 97.5, and although the normal body temperature of 98.6 is derived from out dated data, the universal criteria for a fever is a temperature of at least 101. If you would like to helpfully educate those around you on the difference between a real fever and an unfever, you have to stress the "at least" part when you say "at least 101". It helps to say this with a sneer and to have a nurse sitting in the corner who can chime in with affirmations as if she were at a revival meeting ("say it again Doctor!" "Praise the AMA!")

Funny, it feels just like a fever...

Amusing: Proposal for a new reality TV series called "The Scholar". If you or someone you know is in grad school, read it. It's exactly right. For a while now, some friends and I have joked that the university should not only save but make money on graduate housing by hosting a "real world - grad school" house. The non-stop drama of socially inept poverty stricken 20 and 30 somethings are sure to offer at least a season of mindless entertainment to the great viewing masses.

And now a word from our sponsors...




1 comment:

cjblue said...

Wow, I'm really behind on my L reading! Sorry you have had fighting on top of everything else you're dealing with right now. I'm glad though, that your fight partner has come back atcha with humor and kindness. Ain't nothing, in my experience, like a man who can laugh you out of a crappy mood.

Enjoy the book and then send it on to me, willya? Been meaning to read that one...

I love the nonfever thing too. As somebody whose regular body temp is around 96.8, a temp of 100 is a fever for me too. No so, say the Doctors. Oy. Feel better. Why don't you go spend some time in the tea room? XOXO