Monday, June 12, 2006

Weather (or not)

Yes, the subject is a Little House on the Prairie reference. But that is beside the point. The point is has anyone else noticed that the weather forecasts seem to be more consistently inaccurate these days? There were always the days or weeks when the forecast and reality diverged. But over the last, oh I think about 2 years or so, that level of inaccuracy feels like it's becoming standard.

Take yesterday for example. Weather.com predicted a high of 68. It was at least 72.
This is not an insignificant difference for me. I know, it sounds nitpicky. And I also realize that non-recorded recollection and reflection do not make a sound basis for even the casual conclusion such as the one I seem to be making. Therefore I decided I'd start comparing forecast with outcome.

Last night, weather.com predicted a high of 72 for today.
Now weather.com says "High 78. A stray thunderstorm is possible late. A few showers in the evening"
Weather.gov says "High 76, slight chance of showers after 3 PM"
and wunderground.com says 75, partly cloudy, with about a 20% chance of precipitation.

We'll see where this goes. Personally, I'm going for a high of 81. My hip hurt like hell when I woke up.

1 comment:

PFG said...

Today's high for my area was 80.
I rock.
Or rather, my weather predicting hip rocks.

For tomorrow:
weather.com high 80
weather.gov high 83
wunderground.com high 82