Tuesday, June 13, 2006

surreality

Cat reality TV
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Ten cats in search of owners will spend the next 10 days in a New York store window, their every move caught on camera for a reality TV show on which they will compete for best sleeper and mouse-catcher.

Of course this scenario is very very far from "reality" for cats. Feline reality does not involve living in "a luxuriously outfitted cat-sized house that includes scaled-down sofas, beds, a fish tank (with fake fish), kitchen and a porch". I do think it's an interesting and creative way of promoting adoption of pets, and I guess that's why there are several shelters and organizations on board with it. Although it is rather commercial (Meow Mix is the major sponsor so it's Meow Mix stuff everywhere), who can resist a cat on a cat sized leopard print sofa? Not me.

One thing that I find amusing and a little annoying/disturbing is how few cats are visible on the "house" webcams. Occasionally a cat ventures on screen, and then a person, usually in a yellow shirt, comes in and poof, no more cat.
Come on! I want to see a cat on a cat sized sofa dammit!



Here's a guy who I keep seeing on the webcams. He's in and out a lot. Looking for cats I guess. He should ask the woman in the yellow shirt. She knows where they are.



See, she found one and she's about to pounce.







Oh hey, look! Finally, a cat on a cat sized couch. And not a yellow shirt in sight.
images are screen captures from http://www.meowmixhouse.com/webcamsite.html June 13, 2006

1 comment:

PFG said...

But of course! I know what you mean. I thought of this when I saw all the people in there. I think the yellow shirts are employees...why they need to be there all the time I don't know because god knows my cat manages without someone chasing him around 24/7, but there were just bunches of folks in there. I imagine (note - speculation) the motivation is a desire for attention. Turning the cats into celebrities definitely has some risks.