Saturday, June 10, 2006

Assumption, part one

I'm back from Providence. The conference was good, three students from my division presented posters there. A___ and I had a good time, even though it rained pretty much the whole week. He bought a "More cowbell" t-shirt and I bought this one.


On Thursday, several of the grads and I went out for dinner. It was me, my fella A___, and my labmates N____, Sharon, and M____. We had a some fun involving taking under the table pictures (I'll post them later), but there was one interaction that was troubling and which will have lasting repercussions. One grad student had made some assumptions about how far a joke can go and it ended with hurt feelings, anger, and distrust.

This was not the first big bad assumption of the week. The first one happened on my first day at the conference. In fact, it happened within the first 10 minutes of my first day there. My interaction also involved assumptions, a slightly different set of them and a slightly different response from the offended party (me), but it keeps kicking around in my head.

First I'm posting the grad student dinner Thursday night assumption and the grief it caused. I'm describing race and ethnicity related aspects because they become relevant.

My friend and schoolmate M____ is Asian. He's a great guy, witty, a little self conscious, and prone to self deprecating humor. My friend and schoolmate Sharon is also friends with M____. Sharon, an american of mixed but mostly white european descended background, is fun but sometimes insecure and plagued by esteem issues which she occasionally overcompensates for in social settings by hard ball joking with friends. For a while now, I've noticed Sharon and M____ (as well as Sharon and G___, another international student in our program) engaging in "off color" jokes. For example, Sharon had once been joking about how we should all draw self portraits for the student website. Hers should be colored red, she had said, since her skin tone is somewhat ruddy and she's prone to eczema. She then said "And G___ (indian student) should have like 8 arms and be blue!" at which G____ laughed lots. "And M___ should be yellow!" More laughing by Sharon, G____ and M____.

I was uncomfortable and had misgivings about laughing along with this kind of joke. But G____ and M____ were laughing and going along with this, saying "it's ok, it's funny!" so what do I do? Is it my place to turn what is apparently a funny ok interaction into something awkward and offensive by coming down on all of them for making ethnic/racists jokes about each other? Is it my place to play the parent and say "Sure, it's funny now but someday one of you is going to go too far or say it at the wrong time and then it'll make a big mess." Instead I said something non-commitally chastizing like "Wow you guys like pushing it..." the response to which was further reassurance that "It's ok. It's funny".

Ok. It's funny if you guys say it's funny. I guess.

Turns out it's not always funny.

Sharon has a habit of joking about M____'s driving. I've witnessed this before, and I've witnessed M____ joking along, seemingly merrily, saying that he's a scarey driver because he's Asian. I remember the first time I heard this I said "I can't believe you think your driving has to do with your being Asian." I know that on more than one occasion, M____ has told me the joking is ok because he is a bad driver. Now whether or not M___ is a bad driver is a bit beside the point, but let's go there for a minute. I've been in the car with him. Yes, there was one time when he didn't notice the "left lane ends" sign on the highway and had to merge in fast at the last minute. But other than that, he wasn't that bad. He was certainly not as bad as a mile a minute talker impulsive American woman named Rachel who always drove in the passing lane, continually drifting on and off the rumble strip because she was lighting her cigarette, talking animatedly to me, searching her Dave Matthews CD to find that part where he says something incredibly funny and witty that I just have to hear, having a side dialogue with herself about said CD, and checking her missed calls on her cell phone. Now that, my friends, is a BAD driver. M___ doesn't even come close to that shit.

For some reason though, Sharon thinks M___s driving is that bad. Sharon and G___ drove into Providence with M___ Thursday for Sharon's poster presentation. It was on the way to dinner that night that Sharon brought up M___ 's driving, saying "That is the LAST time you drive!" The usual hahahaha kind of M___'s a bad driver discussion ensued between her, G___ and M___ , then died off when we were seated at the restaurant. G____ brought it up again over appetizers and drinks by saying he was not sitting in the front seat on the way home and joking about how Sharon had lied about needing to study so she could sit in back. I added "So you guys call reverse shotgun?" And Sharon spent about a half hour going on about how bad M___ 's driving is. Jokes ranged from what kind of music M___ can and can't listen to while driving, whether dance music makes the driving better, to me telling them about how my brother blasted diva dance music all the way up to my sister's the other week and saying about half way up "Hey, let me know if the music is bothering you, ok?" and me saying "Oh thanks, that's sweet. It's ok right now though," and him replying "Good. I mean, I don't plan to turn it off. I just want to know when it is bothering you so I can fully enjoy it."

(which was funny...he and I do rip on one another and sometimes our feelings get hurt. But we have 33 years of shared history and we can be quite explicit about what is and what is not funny and I think this helps...more on that in another post)

During the M___ 's driving bashing joke fest at dinner Thursday, I recall Sharon saying several times "It's ok, he doesn't mind. He admits it!" And M___ adding, at least early on, comments like "Yes, she's right. I admit it. I'm a bad driver." In retrospect, I wonder what made Sharon feel she had to make this repeated disclaimer. I can't recall if I said much of anything, or if anything I did say sounded discouraging, or if this was just her responding to some semi-conscious understanding that she might be going a little too far even for M___.

At one point, M___ mentioned that his driving was good enough for them to give him a license. He said this still in the joking sort of discourse style. Sharon jumped on it. She said "Yeah I know. How did they ever give you a license? What did your boyfriend take the test for you?" I think M___ said something like "Um..that would be a little hard since he's not (Asian)," and Sharon said "Maybe he taped his eyes up so they'd be slanted..." then she dissolved into hoots of laughter.

I honestly don't remember where I went at this point. I know I heard her say the eye thing but I don't know what I said or did. For someone who can recall conversations in such detail, I find this is strange. I know I felt that familiar "this is too close to offensive for me" feeling but I have no recollection what my overt reaction was.

My fella A___ later recounted that he said something like "Wooah, that's pretty rough!" after the eye comment. I did notice that the dynamic shifted, and I noticed G___ barely said a word for the rest of dinner. I was pretty oblivious to M___ 's reaction, I have to say, and I feel bad about that. He told me later that he was really pissed off and considered getting up and walking away or saying something mean back to her. He also reminded me that at one point after Sharon had assured us (or herself) again that "It's ok he admits it" I had said "As long as M___ 's ok with it..." I am glad I at least said something like this. I feel like an idiot for not noticing that M___ was increasinly NOT ok with it though.

Not long after the unenthusiastic reception to this comment, Sharon piped down about M___'s driving. The next day, I got an e-mail from M___ . Among other things, here's what he said.

when (Sharon) was going on about how scary my driving was, etc. i am sure you noticed the change in my mood when something was said.
....
i thought about talking to her in person what she said was a bit out of line and was actually very derogatory in nature. but i didn't have a chance since G____ was with us in the car. i thought about emailing her but... she might just think "i am being too sensitive" and i am afraid that she might start making fun of me with that. "oh M____'s driving is scary, and on top of that, he was hurt when i said his driving sucks, such a lamo"
...
i do use the slanted eye stuff to describe myself... just like some black people use the N word among themselves or describe themselves.. but the difference is we own the words because they were given to us (not as a pleasant gift but nevertheless they were given to us).

I'm not sure if I can express how bad I felt that I didn't notice the change in M__'s mood. I was really horrified when I got his e-mail. Not that he was offended, I mean, this joking had always made me uncomfortable because I worried about if and when the line would be crossed. It doesn't surprise me that this happened. I felt bad because I had let myself believe that this kind of joking was ok even when part of me knew all along it wasn't. Yes, I didn't fully join in even the supposedly good natured race bashing, but I also didn't do what I think I knew all along was the right thing to do. Which is to completely refuse to participate in the conversation or to say to them, together or separately, "This joking is fucked up guys. Maybe M___ doesn't mind. MaybeG____ doesn't mind. But you know what? I do."

So I called M___ after getting his message and he came over my apartment. We smoked and talked at my kitchen table for a long time. We talked about Sharon, we talked about boundaries and how to express them. We talked about how just because something is ok sometimes that doesn't mean it has to be ok all the time. And mostly we talked about how if you trust someone enough to be friends with them, you need to trust them enough to establish and defend boundaries even if you worry about there being social risk involved. Yes, they might continue after you tell them how you feel, and yes that would suck. But if someone really is a friend, you should give them a chance to stop, and you owe it to yourself to stand up for yourself, even with an intimate. Beliefs about intentions always being good, about no hard feelings, about unconditional trust, etc. are tricky and can result in feelings of betrayal when they are not explicit, i.e., when they are assumptions.

I told M___ that I felt bad, especially since I am the one who says something usually, even when there is social risk. It's sort of my hallmark. The reasons are many. I'm just one of those people who refuses to keep her trap shut when there's shit like this going on around me because even by silence you can be part of it. I'm still upset at myself for not saying something, and M___ and I talked about that too. So I guess it wasn't just him who needed the counseling. It was a two way street. I shared some of my experiences with him, told him it is usually not easy for me to say something even though the frequency of my doing this might make it seem so. That I often feel my blood racing when I go to speak, that I worry that I will offend if it is a friend. But that it is important to me to be true to myself and that I've discovered friends feel worse if they find out after the fact that they inadvertently hurt or offended you. My experience has been it's best to say something directly and promptly, you can use humor if you want but you have to be willing to back it up with a firm statement to stop if the person continues.

So I guess I re-learned my lesson that if something rubs me the wrong way, I'm not going to be a part of it, even tacitly. I am not going to engage in perpetuating damaging assumptions. And I think M___ may be realizing that his habit of self deprecation might perhaps be a form of self abuse and might set his friends up for making some bad assumptions about what is hurtful and what is not.

6 comments:

WinterWheat said...

Wow, sounds like you and T had a great conversation. Don't be mad at yourself; I assume he emailed you because he could see in your nonverbals that you were uncomfortable too. He knew he'd have an ally in you.

I hear you about speaking up. I too am the person in every group interaction who goes, "Oh boy, here we go, someone's got to address this and no one else is brave enough to do it, so it's gonna be me again." Take deep breath, Assert. But my assertions usually take the form of humor. I've used some variation of the following line several times after witnessing racist and sexist jokes:

"Whoa!" (Look around wide-eyed.) "Did we just take a time machine back to 1950?" (Laugh, look pointedly at person who made racist joke.)

If she then says, "It's fine, he's okay with it," I'd look pointedly at her target and say, "ARE you?" That's his cue that he needs to speak up if he's NOT okay with it. If he says, "Yeah, I'm okay," I raise eyebrows and say, "Wow, really? I wouldn't be, but that's just me -- I'm overly sensitive," then smile and change the subject.

They can't call you too sensitive because you've already owned it. But it does make them think about whether they might have misjudged their target's sensitivity.

Ultimately, though, T has to learn to stand up for himself. When someone makes a sexist joke directed at me, usually a simple "Ouch!" coupled by a surprised look suffices.

Gypsy said...

it's the sort of post that begs a long response.
nevertheless, brevity is beautiful and i shall say simply, well done.
I know you don't feel well done, but trust me, that's some pretty heavy shit and you handled it very well.
T__"s insight about "owning the word" or words is very profound.
And the "more cowbell" shirt rules.
Props to A___.
Down w/ S___! (did you know you put her full name in? it's right before the email bit)
Hang in there, L.

Mick & Cathy said...

Sometimes the joking although sexist or racist isn't meant to be.
A lot of people are like "S" and always feel they have to put others down ("T" is probably an easy target as he didn't stick up for himself).
In my experience turning the tables on the joker is the best response. A lot of people can dish out the stick but you usually find they can't take it when the boot is on the other foot.

PFG said...

K,
It's funny. Your response is similar to a suggestion I made to T. I said the next time Sharon says something like this in front of me, I'm going to ask her how many hounds she's got under her porch. had to explain the redneck reference but he enjoyed it when he got it.

Gypsy/j_____,
Yeah, I gave S___ a nickname a while ago on the blog. Sharon. It's not her real name. But for T____ and N____, it's hard because they have names that are clearly not western. I have no idea what to substitute. Hence the abbreviations.

WRB,
I know. This is part of why T and I both felt stuck in the "how do you respond to that?" response. I'm going to stay clear of putting the shoe on Sharon's foot because racism aside, I don't want to be seen as even incidentally supporting this style of put-down fun. It's just too easy to offend even if you don't mean it, especially with grad students who live in a state of nearly constant self doubt and fragile image. I've been in this program for 4 years and am one of the most senior grads. It would be pretty easy for me to pick on my junior peers but it would be just plain mean because they really are very quickly torn down. I've done it to a few but only the people who are outright assholes.

Kate said...

You are a wise chick. :-)

I am also the person who "says the thing everyone is thinking but no one else has the guts to say" and I'm also the person other people ask to say their difficult shit for them. And sometimes I'm the person who is sick of always being the person who "says something", so I don't. And I wait to see if someone else will. And they don't. Then they come to me and say "Why didn't you say something!!!! " and I say "Why didn't you!?"

cjblue said...

There's a woman around here who calls herself the "Insult Comic" and she's a comedian who makes fun of people using every stereotype ever made. It's funny because she makes us realize how ridiculous so many of them are. People call in and say "I'm half Irish and half Lebanese" and she'll say "You leave your camel parked outside the bar and there's always room for you at the bar cause you never bathe." or whatever. She's funnier than that.

But making fun of people's appearances - things they can't change (probably wouldn't if they could) is just wrong. Slanty eyes, WTF? That's not a stereotype, it's just rude. Might as well make fun of Sharon for her small tits.

Sometimes if I hear people bagging on another race or ethnicity I'll say something like "Hey, my dad is black!" And that stops them in their tracks. They usually figure out that I'm not telling the truth But if nothing else, hopefully it makes them think twice about who might be around when they're saying these things.