Thursday, April 06, 2006

Mwoh

That is the sound my cat Max makes when he is sick. It's like the vowel in "boat". Today, he crouched outside the litter box and said "mwoh...mwoh...mwoh", then puked. He's been a bit trepid about the litter box in general lately. He gets in, but is less than enthusiastic and vocal. He doesn't usually chat while he's in there.

I had been thinking perhaps he was a little off his game this week. He's been sleeping in odd places and was alternately extra licky and spontaneously bitey during patting times the last few nights. He demands food, but when I put down wet food, he won't eat it. We play the "how about mixed grill/savory salmon/tender beef dinner/turkey giblet entree?" game until he eats some of something. This morning, he wouldn't eat more than a bite of wet food, but eagerly scarfed down some deli meat turkey breast I offered him. Of course, this is the cat who, years ago, had a huge abscess on his face from a bite but was purring and playful even when being examined by my (ex) husband.

I guess I knew Max had been acting a little odd, but until this morning's colorful cat box serendade, I thought it might just be dispositional. Now I feel bad for thinking that.

The upshot of this all? He's won himself an all expenses paid trip to The Vet today. I think the primary concern is a urinary track problem, so they are rushing him in for an 11:45 appointment. I fucking HATE taking him to the vet. Tricking him into the room with the cat carrier, stuffing him into it, driving with him yelling in the backseat, watching him crouch on the table all wary and freaked out. I feel like a bad pet mommy.


Max lounging

2 comments:

Mick & Cathy said...

I hope your cat soon improves.

PFG said...

Thanks guys,
Max is doing ok. Still eating and drinking, so that is always good. He's a big eater. Anyhow, it seems something's up with his liver enzymes (one particular one, according to the vet on call Friday). He's got an ultrasound for tomorrow early in the AM. It's been a long crappy weekend, but hopefully there will be some treatment for whatever is going on with my little guy. He's so sweet and not that old (almost 12). Think good thoughts for him.