Wednesday, April 12, 2006

How (not) to pill your cat

My cat does not want to take his pill. I tried a device my advisor suggested, a pill dispenser that is sort of like a syringe that you put the pill in and then pop it way far back into the cat's throat. My hope was that it would spare my fingers from Max's sharp pointy teeth. We don't both need to be on antibiotics.

This is a deceptive picture from the back of the package the device came in:


If only it had been so easy. Tonight's earlier attempt ended with Max fleeing the room in great springy leaps, saliva foaming in streams from his mouth. I tried to explain to him that the placid cartoon cat had no such problems, but Max wasn't having any of it. He stayed in the little cat cave* for at least an hour.

He has come out and finally allowed me to pat him again. Little does he know the pill is still on the on table waiting for him. And there's a bottle of amoxicilin chilling in the fridge for our midnight rendezvous.


* Something useful I've learned: As most of us cat lovers know, when Kitty is sick, he will hide. I have found it is best to make the cat a hiding place. Somewhere with easily (re)movable "walls" on all but one side and a cloth draped over the front as a curtain works extremly well as it will give you access if you need it (better than lying half under the bed trying to coax Kitty out). Max's current spot is an area of about 1.5' x 2' of bare floor against a wall between my filing cabinet and a large cardboard box. I put down a towel and I hung his favorite blankie over the top to make the ceiling and front curtain. He digs it. It's crucial that when Kitty is resting/hiding in his spot, you respect his privacy unless there is an extremely compelling reason to intrude. Occasional quiet peeking is usually ok.

3 comments:

PFG said...

Hi Mika,
Thanks for stopping by!
Max is well enough to fight so he's definitely improving. I think I'm just not fast enough.

WinterWheat said...

That illustration is hilarious. It looks like a cat crossed with Jay Leno.

We just pry our dog's mouth open and insert the pill quickly in the back of the throat with (callused) fingers. Then we close her mouth and immediately rub her neck to make her swallow reflexively. If we're feeling treaty we'll stick the pill in a bit of cheese and feed it to her, though sometimes it gets ejected onto the floor.

PFG said...

My god K, you are RIGHT! It does look like Jay Leno. My sister commented that the top of the cat's head is smaller than anything else in the picture, giving it that Leno chin thing.

my word verification is arobcid: a new yummy fish flavored chewable antibiotic.