Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Classifieds

So it is that time again. When I consider which is worse in terms of housing - the devil I know or the devil I don't know. The place I live in now has some serious pros and some serious cons. Hence, I've been ambivalently browsing the classified sections every so often the last few months, wondering what to do, when to do it, and whether or not to do it with someone or on my own. That is a whole other post. For now, I wanted to share some of the absurdities I have seen in my searches. This is a composite, taken from real housing ads in my area:

Unexpected summer vacancy in much sought after campus area! 1 and 1/2 bedroom historic cottage (i.e. some slanting floors, low doorframes in places, etc.) on owner occupied property available in May at earliest. Possible extension for year. Walking distance to woods and cows. Newer carpeting. Paritally furnished. Kitchen opens into eating/living area. Full bathroom w/antique fixtures. $950 a month. Security deposit $2000 and $75 non-refundable application fee required in advance. No smoking. No pets. No subleasing.

1 comment:

PFG said...

HHhhmmmm, amityville style! Yeah. Now what do you suppose the euphemism is for haunted by blood thirsty vengance driven supernatural beings? You know, like "charming" means small and probably irregular in terms of the carpentry, paint, and fixtures. "Quaint" I think means "porch is falling off and is covered in peeling lead paint".

Historic? Oh, wait. I know. "character" as in "Charming historic building with character...."

Supposedly where I live now is haunted. Out of deference to the possibility and in recognition of my own agnosticism on the issue, when I moved in, I addressed the empty rooms and introduced myself as the new tenant. Other than a mouse in the wall in the bathroom, there haven't been any perplexing sounds and events.

This house (where my apt is) was an old inn for the coach stop. Apparently there was a dancehall and ladies of ill repute. I guess any time you have that, people will say a place is haunted whether or not it is. But this place hasn't really given me the creeps. Places way way out in the middle of nowhere...now those places are spooky.