Wednesday, September 13, 2006

PWD or AWD?

My sister told me tonight that it was "asshole whiteguy day" in Boston this sunday. I asked her "Didn't you have a similar experience a few weeks ago, where there were asshole guys all around one weekend? Maybe this coincides with a ballgame."

She clarified that the events a few weeks ago were part of Pervert Whiteguy Day. This Sunday was definitely asshole day.

AWD began with a 9 AM T ride featuring a beer soaked "wookie in a Patriots' shirt" (our brother says this is redundant) harassing a woman who was wearing a head scarf. The yuppies on the train said the wookie should be arrested for "disturbing the peace". This was whispered between them after the wookie fled the car.

Following this, my sister witnessed a man fighting his way up the middle of the staircase at Park St. Station like a salmon swimming upstream to spawn. "Where the fuck did all these fucking people come from?!" this man was screaming at all the fucking people.

And finally, there were the sounds of a man in an eyeglasses store in Cambridge having a total shit fit. I can't remember what she said he was saying but it was loud enough to be heard from the street.

There may have been others, I can't remember. I went straight from the phone call about AWD and gender terrorism to working on my lecture and now my brain is a little .... ...... .. . ....Strained. Sorry, word finding problems.

Also, in that vein, I just had a confusing email interaction with an associate, Mr. Sock. It had to do with parsing, syntax, shakespeare quotes, and throwing typewriters or not. I am disatisfied with the response, but really, how do you write back to someone and say "hey no really, why do you think no one says 'eat me' anymore?"

I've felt less capable of normal communication since I started lecturing three days a week. I can talk if I'm on my feet, but put me down someplace and I'm a fucking mess, speaking or typing it seems.

Relatedly, I think that "eat me" is the appropriate response to use on AWD. You just need to be sure it isn't PWD or this could exacerbate the problems.

No comments: