Monday, July 24, 2006

please note that side effects are extremely rare

Oh the silly things they write in medical procedure information. Below is a collection of excerpts from information available online about gallium scans. I found these after looking up side effects and gallium when I got home today, feeling like I was going to hurl (one of the extremely rare or impossible side effects of the injection). I'm going back at 2:30 for a scan, I'll mention the "rare" side effect then. Any bets on the type of response I will receive?


Are there any side effects?
Most people do not experience any side effects from gallium. Possible side effects, though rare, include allergic reaction, skin rash, and nausea.

Side effects and complications
Diagnostic nuclear medicine exams produce no known side effects or complications.

What You Need To Know

As with all Nuclear Medicine procedures, you will have no side effects from the medication.

And last, but not least...

Can I bring somebody with me?
We would prefer that you do not bring more than one person with you. It is advisable not to have a pregnant woman or a small child with you.

Now that one really sucked because I do usually travel with a pregnant woman (you know, for protection) and finding out like this that I can't have one with me for the scan was a bit of a shock, I must say.

2 comments:

PFG said...

Yep, the only allergies I had as a kid were of the rashy kind (not one of those sneezy kids). So far I'm good on that, but the nausea sucked. It's mostly gone now and I am very happy about that.

And the response at nuclear medicine this afternoon?
"That can't give you nausea. There's nothing in there that can give you nausea.

Riiiiiight.
I almost gave him my "I'm a special little snowflake" talk.

WinterWheat said...

Ain't no bodyguard like a pregnant woman. Actually, surround yourself with pregnant women and surround THEM with militant right-to-lifers and you're sound as a pound.

Nuclear medicine is freaky, isn't it? It's always in the basement. I wonder what prompts someone to choose to practice that particular branch of medicine.