Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Make that Eleven

Wow, someone really cares (I'm posting the comment to "10 devil day" as a blog entry below because it's so amazing I'd hate it if it got deleted or something).
First, a question: what did you expect your doctors to do with equivocal test results for a difficult to diagnose condition? I wonder if your expectations for western medicine have outpaced the reality . Second, your behavior in the pharmacy was, in my opinion, selfish and provocative, even as described through your eyes. I can only imagine the real situation was worse. Sorry for the intrusion, and I wish you good luck with your illness. For that, there is hope. For your impatience and unrealistic expectations there is, I suppose, valium.

I wonder if s/he expects me to answer the question...oh wait, it's answered already. Darn.

Dear Anonymous,
My goodness, you seem to have missed the points. Although you've done a nice job further illustrating some of them for me. BTW, thanks for the suggestion about the valium. I always kind of thought I shouldn't use valium except for acute situational anxiety (like claustrophobia in an MRI) but your proposal is certainly more in line with what I've seen of modern "western medicine". Obviously I have a pretty serious case of white coat anxiety now that might benefit from some introspection, discussion, and possibly directed therapy. But it would be so much more simple (and cheap!) if I just go get an Rx for brain candy from a compassionate physician. Can you refer anyone? Are you one?

Consider me won over. The world would be a much more civil place if those of us who obstinately suffer from the intense frustration of refusing to give up our unrealistic expectations (e.g., that our health care providers should actually use the results from even the standard diagnostic technology/procedures to create a care plan with the patient) would quit reacting overtly to the fear of further frustration that seeking treatment for an illness might bring. Or maybe we could stop seeking treatment when we are sick. That would help, right? I know, the discomfort that comes from the frustration may sometimes serve as a goad for us to better ourselves or the world around us, but so much better that we just get rid of that pesky feeling through reliance on medically condoned psychoactive drug abuse and blind trust in our failing health care system.
Thanks again!

Yours in Selfish Provocation,
- PFG

1 comment:

PFG said...

God damn, I totally should be doing this with my blog so I can get people to read it! And then I can start a collection of hate mail (oops I spelled it "male" the first time).