Friday, August 05, 2005

And the winner is...Dukes of Hazzard?

The Boston Globe reports: "Both Dukes of Hazzard, and the new Bill Murray flick Broken Flowers premiere this Friday across the country, and the red carpets have been tied up all week." Oh, which to see?

I am NOT a movie snob. While I didn't think it was a great movie, I did laugh at Deuce Bigalow. However....Indulging anything Dukes of Hazzard related, to me, is to come dangerously near a nightmarish bicentennial brand of hyper patriotic retro-new country wasteland. Writer and director are relatively small and not choc full o'anything but crap. And yet someone paid to make this movie. I do believe it is a sign of the times.

Knowing that there is a Dukes of Hazzard movie and that the Boston Globe staff writers announce it in the same write up as the new Jim Jarmusch movie (devoting three pages of pics and blurbs for Flowers after eight cleavage and whitened tooth filled pages for Dukes) recalls the words from Hunter Thompson's ether drenched observations of a disturbingly similar variety of "good clean american fun" nearly 34 years ago. "The Circus-Circus is what the whole hep world would be doing Saturday night if the Nazis had won the war. This is the sixth Reich. "

I see a long line of fate, national destiny stretching out from then to now, from Las Vegas in 1971 to Dukes of Hazzard 2005. I suspect that a map for this journey could have been read in the bumps, dimples, and craters of Richard Nixon's now deceased ass. But alas we missed our chance. Perhaps now we'll never know what's coming, where this path we are all on will lead to next. I only hope folks like Jarmusch keep doing what they do.

1 comment:

cjblue said...

Amen, sister. I'm so glad you're writing again. Or maybe you never stopped, but I'm just glad to have a regular opportunity to read your stuff. Damn, you're good.