Monday, July 14, 2008

que sara

A first.
I just sent out a cover letter, resume, and reference list for a position a local college. Within an hour, I get a reply that my contact information is not on them.
Um, no. It's in the header. It's taking a bit of restraint for me to not write back saying this and include "dumbass".

I'm going to file this under "job I might not want to have". Why? Because if it were me who was in charge of receiving resumes, I'd actually open the files I got and view them in a normal window. Or I'd have put in the post that files must be plain text format or plain text compatible. I see today's experience as a hint that the person in charge or people I'd work with have less attention to detail than I do and have minimal problem solving skills, which to me is not an ideal work situation.

But ultimately, this experience is informative. I now know that people will not reliably know to view a document in Word, even when the applicant has stated that the files are formatted for Word 97-2003 in the email to files are attached to. Apparently, depending on how the recipient chooses to view the file, header information may not show up.
Live and learn.

No comments: