Friday, July 18, 2008

new word

Out of total desperation, A___ and I have watched some episodes of Lost. I know, I'm like 4 years late.

Now that I've watched it, I can say with authority that yes, it is crap. At least season one is. Things I've learned from this show.
- Gender stereotypes, they aren't just for women anymore!
- The "take my child, please!" genre has finally jumped from the big screen to the little screen. I suspect Lifetime movies facilitated this leap.
- A whole style of delivery can be categorized in one word, "cryalogue"*. This is what happens when you have a volley of lines which are delivered with throaty sobs and frantic, indistinguishable diction. I'm not sure the writers are to blame for this. It could be the actors, but ultimately I blame the director and whoever s/he is working for who said "oh yeah, that's perfect". I sometimes pretend to be the director during these moments. That is, I yell directions to the actors from my couch. "You're upset! Be more upset! More crying! More sniffling! Scrunch up your face and say it again, but louder and less articulately!"

* = Can't take credit for the word. I googled it after using it and found this entry.

No comments: