Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Dear Paul [Saint]...

I love this bit.



I so dislike Paul and his letters. Not exactly sure where it came from. I mean, this is an implicit dislike at this point, an aspect of a long standing opinion I've held about Paul's writings and their place in Christianity since my childhood, when I spent a bit of time in Catholic school. I'm thinking perhaps as a wee 5-6 year old, I was told stories about Paul and his various letters which lead me to form this aversion. Hearing the same tired bit read at so many weddings doesn't help (you know, the part that goes: "...love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. Love puts down the toilet seat, never makes you buy your own birthday cake, and always remembers the fabric softener..." or something like that).

1 comment:

WinterWheat said...

Hooray, more Eddie!

I do share your opinion about the overuse of that particular passage in weddings. It's basically common sense: if you want a good marriage, don't imagine yourself the sun and your partner the earth. Be mutually revolving planets. Unfortunately, Paul knew nothing about astronomy so he couldn't articulate it as elegantly as I just did. But I like your version best. :-)