Wednesday, October 10, 2007

MRSA it is

My brother's got a (community acquired) MRSA pneumonia. He is super sick. They're going to try to drain some of the fluid from his lung today and also to try to get him a bed at a Boston hospital, dare I say at "The" Boston hospital. It's where his primary is, so aside from the status of man's greatest hospital in Boston, MA, there is the benefit of being followed by a doctor and service who actually have his history. Currently, he's inpatient at at one of those cute little suburban hospitals. My sister calls the little suburban hospital a "baby farm". The admitting and subsequently attending doctor (a "hospitalist") didn't get a history from my brother and didn't bother to ask any one of us. They only got two sputum specimens and everyone but the attending said they were shitty specimens. I mean everyone. Infectious disease, the lab, the respiratory therapist who got them....

My rants on the hospitalist and on some aspects of the nursing care at Babyfarm Memorial can wait for another time and possibly another forum. For now, my primary concerns are about my brother and about getting myself better so I can go back up there to be with him.

4 comments:

Genie said...

I hope I'm not intruding, this must be a terrible time for you. I'd be an absolute wreck if my brother were ill. I was looking around Blogspot for others who listed Lyme Disease as an interest and saw you. I am wondering if you have LD too, I see you mentioning wanting to get better yourself so that you can go see him. I don't know you but I wish you, your brother, and your family well. I'm so sorry that he is sick. Thinking good thoughts at all of you from Texas, Genie

PFG said...

Hi Genie,
Not intruding. I wouldn't put it up if I weren't ok sharing it. Life's got good and bad.

Yes, this is bad but I'm not an absolute wreck, not all the time. I wish I were healthier (fighting a bronchitis thing + everything else right now) because I want to BE there with my brother but I'm finding that's going to be very hard to accomplish as often or for as long as I'd like.

Yes, I have/had Lyme. Funny how even identifying as a member of the patient population is a political statement with all the horrible controversy over the various Lyme associated diagnoses. If you search this blog for Lyme you'll get lots of hits. Lyme has significantly impacted my life and continues to infect friends around me, so it comes up a lot here. I started putting my own personal medical stuff over an another blog because, well I wrote some thoughts on why here. , you can check it out if you want to.

I'm so sorry you have Lyme. I hope you're one of the lucky people but the fact that you were looking up other people with Lyme on Blogger suggests you weren't. :(

Bubblewench said...

I'm glad to see your brother is getting some medical attention.. sorry it isn't all that great. Hope he is doing better, and hope you are feeling better.

PFG said...

BW,
He is, thanks. Bad night last night but I he's still going strong so he may come home soon. And I'm still coughing but feeling better than I was. Also, still not smoking.