Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Back to Beowulf?

The man who brought us Back to the Future and Forrest Gump directed Beowulf. Oh dear, I thought. I am truly done with the babyboomer aesthetic (if you don't know what I'm talking about, watch AI. Gorgeous and evocative but the evidence of this style, this sensibility, is smeared across parts of it like a hummus flecked thumb print).

I was ready to blow Beowulf off and seeing that Zemeckis is the director did very little to challenge my prejudice fueled decision. However, a couple of aspects caught my eye and now I'm interested again. Namely, Neil Gaiman shares screenplay credit. Anthony Hopkins is playing the king (the one whose all night parties pissed Grendel off, and pardon my detour but can you blame Grendel, really? If some fuck opened an all night meade hall just a stone's throw from your house, I'll bet there'd be nights when you'd be tempted to go in there and drag off thirty thanemen to prove a point...). Crispin Glover is Grendel, which is perfect. And in what seems to me a most unlikely but amusing casting choice, Angelina Jolie is Grendel's mother.

Ok, they definitely have my attention. Let's hope it's not a set up for a big disappointment.

1 comment:

Bubblewench said...

Being a HUGE Beowulf fan, I am curious to see this take on the tale. Considering how horribly distorted The Thriteenth Warrior was, I can't really see anyone (the glorious and magnificent Neil Gaiman included) being able to pull off the tale as it was told in the Old English style.

BUT, as you mentioned, they have my attention, the casting is quite interesting, Neil is involved and we will have to wait and see.

I know you will probably see it before me - so keep me posted!