Wednesday, March 22, 2006

something to look forward to

It's been sort of a strange week. I'm trying to look on the bright side. Fortunately, for the past week there have been silver linings to the usual string of typical mishaps. I had a broken down car that at least had the decency to break down less than a mile from my mechanic (and on a Friday afternoon no less). My massage therapist was too booked to see me last week, but this saved me from running into my ex who was, oddly enough, seeing his massage therapist where mine usually works (and where his usually doesn't). It turned out my ex's presence and talk of a pending engagement elicited so much spontaneous sympathy with my therapist that she gave me an hour long session but only charged me for a half hour.

There have been more of these sort of "bad news/good news" events, but you get the idea.

I have a fair amount to be happy about. I do. At the risk of sounding whiney, for a while now it often seemed I only got the not so good stuff without the silver linings. So why is it that I am not in a better mood? I really should be. I think I'm fatigued. I need an uplifting experience, something truly enjoyable, not just enjoyable in a "it takes the edge off" kind of way.

Fortunately, this weekend there is more than a silver lining. There is a big glowing fun ball of happy coming my way. Because I am going to see Varla on Saturday.

images from Varla's postcard museum

From the Metroline Online:
Performer extraordinaire Varla Jean Merman brings her most recent tour-de-force to Hartford's Cinestudio March 25, to benefit the Connecticut Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. In I'm Not Paying for This...the redheaded chanteuse tells a cautionary tale about the dangers of ignoring the seven deadly sins.
...

Inhabiting Varla --the illegitimate love child of the ill-conceived marriage of Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine-- Roberson tweaks his seasoned opera chops on everything from German pop-songs to Broadway melodies in "I'm Not Paying for This."
Adding to the outrageousness of it all are costumes designed by Philip Heckman. Varla begins the show in a Catholic school girl uniform designed to make fetish-loving lesbians swoon. Later she dons a pair of lederhosen and does a riff on Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" while the music from "Cabaret's"plays behind it and then morphs into the eighties pop hit "99 Luft Balloons,"all sung with a thick "Maedchan in Uniform" type of accent.

2 comments:

cjblue said...

Oh, I love it. I wish I was going with you. You're going to have a blast. Kiss your bro for me.

Then slap him in the face, cause he expects that. ;-)

cjblue said...

HEY! I just noticed you got your links up here - good work!
XOXO
R