Saturday, February 11, 2006

Rich idiots just love a storm

I am truly thankful I had time to get my grocery shopping done during the day Friday. The woman at checkout said it had been a nightmare already and was dreading her shift on Saturday. I did venture out today and although I was not at the grocery store, what rushing people I did see elsewhere suggest she was probably correct. I live in a working class area that has a lot of low income families. The state had massive power outages in the last storm, which was not even remotely as bad as the one that is moving in right now. I'm sure working in a supermarket on a day like today is an entirely thankless job.

I read this and wanted to share.
...The storm was great news for northern New Jersey's Hidden Valley Resort and its 12 ski slopes, said Roni Mattiello, director of snow sports...."Everyone is psyched and pumped up for skiing," she said.

I could go on about class distinctions and the assumptions of rich idiots ("everyone" has the luxury of enjoying snow!), about how much I have always hated rich people sports like golf, tennis, and downhill resort skiing, or just how much raw contempt I feel when I consider the sorts of people I imagine would be "psyched and pumped up" upon hearing news of an approaching blizzard. I won't. I will say that if this storm turns out to be as bad as is predicted, when I am shivering in my unlit apartment after hours of back breaking shovelling, there is a certain director of snow sports in NJ who I will spend at least one guiltless moment imagining smacking the shit out of.

No comments: