Tuesday, August 28, 2007

golden throats

Some years ago, a friend played William Shatner singing "Mr. Tambourine Man" for me. Amazing. The album also featured Shatner reprising his role as Captain Kirk on alien mind control except here he is not falling in love with his communications officer or scheming against his friends but shouting his way through "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" (if you haven't heard it you really should at least sample it at iTunes or somesuch place). Lastly, there was Spock - I mean Leonard Nimoy - singing "If I Had a Hammer".

I recently decided I must have some of these gems. My quest brought me to Actors Who Try to Sing, by Kevin Murphy (yes, that Kevin Murphy). A nice review of a selection of albums by celebrities who sort of sing.

2 comments:

Bubblewench said...

I LOVE that album! OMG! I thought NO ONE in the universe has ever heard that but me and my friend Brian who played it for me!!

PFG said...

Unfortunately, while an album with a few of these is on iTunes, the whole Golden Throats set is not. So sad! I'm going to ask one of the folks who djs at the local campus station to try to find me a copy. My birthday is in less than a month after all.