Tuesday, August 14, 2007

another word

I'm filling out this health intake survey thing for a doctor, well sort of a doctor, and I came upon this: "Please list adjectives that best describe you"
There are five numbered spaces under this item. Thus I am asked to sum up my personality in five adjectives.

I'm still stumped trying to think of a better word than "demanding". Words I sometimes have self-applied for this general aspect include "cantankerous" and "caustic" but I am (other word for demanding) even when I am in a pleasant mood and positively inclined towards the people around me. At issue is that I expect the best of people, in general. At some point in my 20s, I realized that the cantakerousness (the cantanker?) comes in when people fail, for no good reason, repeatedly, and under a variety of circumstances, to live up to what I see as a (person appropriate) minimum standard.

Any suggestions? Here's what I get in thesaurus.com (not all of which are entirely the correct part of speech but could, presumably, be modified).

ambitious, backbreaker, ball-breaker, bothersome, clamorous, critical, dictatorial, difficult, exacting, exhausting, exigent, fussy, grievous, hard, imperious, importunate, insistent, nagging, onerous, oppressive, pressing, querulous, strict, stringent, taxing, tough, troublesome, trying, urgent, wearing, weighty

Fussy? Hell, maybe I should just write virgo.

1 comment:

Bubblewench said...

I have been described as "gggrrrrr" can you use that?