Sunday, January 08, 2006

Resolution

Every year for the past several years, I've made New Year’s resolutions. That is not remarkable. What is remarkable is that every year, I found the topic of my resolution the theme of the most difficult personal challenges I faced that year. “This year, I will take care of myself” I resolved last January. In 2003, I had resolved to get better at accepting help from others. It felt pretty damned ironic how things turned out. It also made me feel a little superstitious about my resolutions.

So this year, I resolved to learn at least three new recipes. It was the best I could come up with. I tried not to go too easy on myself. I added to the resolution before the end of New Year's Day that they need to be healthy and easy to make.

Even as I made the resolution though, I wondered what evil tricks Fate might play with it. I also considered whether by making such an out of character resolution, I wasn't in all practicality simply resolving to avoid things that make me uncomfortable or to let myself off some huge hook I'm not sure how I got on in the first place. I guess we'll see.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I think you *should* let your resolution this year be to let yourself off the huge hook. Why not? That's as good a New Year's Resolution as any I've heard. :-)