Tuesday, January 03, 2006

My Hero

Just checking out the news today. At the Boston Globe site, there's one of those "most e-mailed stories" links on a side menu. Here's one that caught my attention, from Ohio.
Cat Calls 911 To Help Owner, Police Say

The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen (who it seems has some chronic and serious health problems) had fallen and was unable to get to a phone or his medicalert systems. Police got a 911 call from Mr. Rosheisen's home, but no one said anything. When they called back, no one picked up. They responded to the call and found Mr. Rosheisen's cat Tommy lying by the phone on the living room floor. Mr. Rosheisen was lying next to his bed, presumably nowhere near a phone. After reading this story, I wondered "What, did Tommy hang up the phone when he was done?" I re-read it and saw it mentions the phone having a speaker button. Ok, that's a little less implausible.

Towards the end of the story, we are told that Mr. Rosheisen had tried to train Tommy to dial 911 but was "unsure if the training ever stuck." Apparently it did.

This got me thinking. My cat Max is an orange tabby, like Tommy. I have to wonder...

...Could this cat call 911 in an emergency?
More importantly, would he?

1 comment:

cjblue said...

awwww, Max. You big lump of love. You'd save your mama's life, wouldn't you?

I mean, *somebody* has to feed you 17 times a day...