Friday, June 22, 2007

ugh

I was contemplating what to ask for in terms of a teaching responsibility for the Fall semester. This news item may have made the decision for me.

Older siblings really are know-it-alls, study finds
By Colin Nickerson, Globe Staff

Is big sister always telling you what's best? Does big brother seem to know it all?

Instead of stewing in resentment, maybe you should start listening when they dispense smart-alecky advice.

Turns out, they really are brighter than you, by and large.

A massive study by Norwegian scientists appearing in today's edition of the journal Science concludes that a child raised as the eldest has a higher intelligence quotient, on average, than younger siblings.

Stories based on this research study have been floating around. The non-scientific media claims keep growing, e.g., the headline has mutated from "families' eldest boys do best on tests" (with the buried caveat: "...the Norwegian analysis focused on men...") to "oldest children are smartest". I'm waiting for the headline which reads "Youngest Girls: Why Bother?"

When I see this sort of malarky science reporting being given high press value, it makes the notion of teaching methods to students who will have been exposed to it without innoculation seem quite a bit less enticing. Such articles are likely to enflame what are even now flickers of a will be research topic in the undergrad major come Fall, who if experience is to be any guide, will come in wanting to prove things liek their own personal take on a long standing family grudge about who's best.

The family ones are only a little less troublesome than the people who want to "prove" gender stereotypes. Oh here's a tip on that one. Tell the students if they want to use male/female they have to either (a) call the variable"sex" or (b) measure "gender" explicitly because they cannot conflate gender with sex. It does help, mostly I think because they don't like having to write the word "sex" over and over.

On the brights side, seeing this sort of article does make the notion of teaching intro somewhat more appealing. I feel like some kind of magpie, plucking up the garbage which has been given the glimmer of "science", and flying off to line my nest with it, or in this case, to add into my lesson plan on *scientific*literacy*.

I am armed with library access to many journals. (Hey, one nice thing about being an academic. I found one thing I still truly inherently enjoy Jay!) I can't wait to read the article on this "Massive study by Norwegian scientists". We can just be happy it wasn't "a team of Norwegian scientists". You just can't argue with the findings of a whole team of scientists, can you?

5 comments:

D said...

... those wackey scandinavians.
i'd trust it even less if it were a german study.
that aside, here's my own study of intelligent life in my family:

i'm shit loads smarter than my older male sibling.
fact.

good on you for being an educator.
clearly your head is in the right place.

I gather you are not the family dumb-arse.

see ya.

Unknown said...

Clearly the answer to "Youngest Girls: Why Bother?" is "To make your older boys smarter". I mean, duh. If you were a first-born son you'd know that. ;) Preferably a straight, white, middle-class, non-handicapped, American first-born son.

PFG said...

D, Our mom told us our IQs when we were in elementary school because that's a good idea. So we grew up knowing "the ranking".

If we're counting in terms of "dumb things done" though, I think my brother wins. I mean, we all do stupid shit but sometimes it seems like he's got some kind of stupid shit magnet on his back or something. Fortunately for him, he's also rather lucky.

PFG said...

Jay,
Right. How could I have neglected that. Also, very useful in case your eldest white straight non-handicapped son ruptures a kidney while sailing around Nantucket and finds himself in need of an organ donor. I hear siblings make good matches.

Damn, I can see the box in the Newsweek article now. And why is it always Newsweek?

Hey, you got any good articles like this to share (pref. digital)?

Unknown said...

Regrettably, I'm up to my eyeballs in pain research these days. Nothing to make your morning like a good article about electrical tooth pulp stimulation. There are some on post-operative pain though, so the organ donation thing could be relevant.
I'd be curious to know what kind of measures our Norwegian friends used to assess 'intelligence'. It's a uni-dimensional construct, you know. Hopefully they picked something nice and socioculturally unbiased, like IQ. [insert sarcasm here]