Monday, February 12, 2007

tea bag fuck up

I don't adhere to a whole lot of beauty product. I have stuff, but in general I consider all but a basic moisterizer and a face cleanser which a dermatologist insisted I use (because the regular shit was ripping up my face) more or less dispensable.

So I don't have eye cream, firming gels, exfoliants, royal anything that came out of a bee's ass, lip venom, lightening creams, darkening sprays, and so on.

If I'm wanting to exfoliate or tighten my pores or whathaveyou, I am as likely to make something out of ingredients in my house as I am to buy a product. Usually the results are innocuous if not better than what I'd get with a $50 wee bottle of synthetic goop.

That said, this evening as I was washing my face I happened to remember a completely terrible outcome of a home "beauty aid". It involved tea bags.

You know the classic cucumber slices on the eyes, hair in rollers, mud mask look? Have you ever wondered about the cucumbers? They are supposed to reduce puffiness. Well, there is another version of that putting things on your eyes to reduce puffiness trick which calls for tea bags.

Many years ago when I was living in Michigan, I developed a seasonal allergy. It involved my eyes pretty much exclusively. They'd puff up so bad they were practically swollen shut every morning for a few weeks in the late summer. Having never had seasonal allergies, it took me some time to realize this was what was going on. In the meantime, I was just stuck with puffy sore eyes. I thought "Oh I read something about putting tea bags on your eyes when they are puffy" and I promptly got some tea bags cooking. I let them cool off, then applied them to my eyes.

After a short time I took them off and looked in the mirror to discover bruise-like rings around both of my eyes. No, they weren't tea dyed. They were covered in dark purple-red bruising. I showed my (now ex) husband, Dr. Flounder. He was horrified and amused, but could offer no explanation. "My god, people are going to think I hit you!" he exclaimed. Ah Bob was a sensitive soul.

It didn't take long for the bruising to go away. It's possible a different tea wouldn't do that but you know, I'm just not planning to go there again.

So I'm wondering. Anyone ever heard of this happening ever? Possible explanations will be entertained. Post them in the comments section.

2 comments:

cjblue said...

Was it Earl Grey or Chamomile? Black tea or herbal tea? I'm betting it was that herbal crap - I told you herbal teas are nasty.

I have absolutely NO CLUE why tea would do that - very weird. But it made me laugh.

The only tea bag remedy I've ever used was when I was nursing, right in the beginning and my boobs hurt like hell. The nurses recommended tea bags and if they did actually help. No bruising of the boobage there.

How long did the bruising last? They should put you in a medical book. If only Dr. Flounder had his druthers...

PFG said...

Yes, herb tea = evil, so I've been told. I thing (not sure though) it was just plain ol' tea. Not chamomille/nettle/lemon zingy/spruce and spam or any such nonsense.
It didn't last long. A few hours for most of it to go away, a day or so for the rest I think. Had there been many digital cameras back then, I'm sure Dr. Flounder would have taken a few shots to show the folks at work.