Friday, October 27, 2006

trick or treat

My mother called again today. She also called my sister - that was unexpected. The usual same song and dance, this time with the refrain "I miss you". Miss what exactly? Miss having another kid's life to ruin? I guess she's all done with my brother - who emerged finally to tell me he resigned from his $40k job and will be down for christmas. Down for his birthday or thanksgiving? No. Apparently he's spending that with the goblins up in MA. He also happened to tell my sister that I had "indicated I was ok with the idea of everyone doing their own thing for thanksgiving". This is a typical example of his creative reinterpretting of what is said to him. And it was rotten as it made my sister think I had preemptively uninvited her down via my brother. All so he can feel ok about not coming down anytime soon. I think he sometimes wants to avoid me because I say "crystal meth" and not "picked up", I say "when you used" and not "when things got bad". I refuse to speak obliquely about his addiction.

I told my sister mom was calling because it's halloween and it's the scary thing to do. It feels like the Stuart Smalley spooky story.

Got my period today and it's supposed to rain buckets on moving weekend. Still I'm unreasonably optimistic about the move, the physicality of it at least. A big fat lump of the emotionality of it hit me tonight out of the blue. I thought I'd gotten over the worst of that, but apparently not. It hit me when I opened a container which had held some soap I used for a while when I was with Tom, when I saw my lettering on the boxes from last year's move. FRAGILE.
Indeed.

2 comments:

Gypsy said...

yes, no pregnancy!
honestly, ever since that whole immaculate conception thing, no woman is safe.
one day something will grow in you, leech off your insides before escaping with all the grace and courtesy of an alien chestburster.
18 years later it will hate and resent you.
but not this month.

also, i find it somewhat pathological that you celebrate Thanksgiving in November - Halloween is the holiday that comes between Thanksgiving and Christmas, not the other way around.
This year i would recommend thanklessness, of the most malicious sort possible.

never know, it could boost your spirits.

there are
2 errors in the
the sentance you
are reading
.

PFG said...

Hey kiddo,
yes, and with the US government's strange policies, I am now to be considered officiall POTENTIALLY pregnant at all times and act accordingly. This is some kind of strange application of the uncertainty principle. I'd prefer that people act as if I MIGHT be in possession of superpowers and that they then act accordingly around me out of respect for at least the possibility that I just might superkick their ass, eye laser weld their fly up, or maybe just blink and make their car turn into a huge turnip. Man that'd rock.

Having thanksgiving so close to christmas is stupid for several reasons. Primarily, it's proximity to xmas has caused it to merge and turn the whole month into an uber-holiday of glorified gluttony (of several types...though strangely enough not the sexual one. That's a gap in the holiday calendar, isn't it? Hell even valentines day isn't about that. Hm...food for thought for me).