Sunday, January 28, 2007

Entertain me

I've been having bad luck with movies lately. My netflix cue has hit a dry spell and I'm looking for suggestions.

I did go to the bookstore today, student loan check burning a hole in my pocket....ok not quite. I was good, I bought discount books. I've considered checking out the local library, no pun intended. But until then it was the bookstore or bust. I picked up a Christopher Moore book and "I Like You - Hospitality Under the Influence" by Amy Sedaris. The Sedaris book is chock full of helpful entertaining tips like this one under "Children's games"
"Note: If for any reason a child's clothing catches fire, prevent the child from running because this adds oxygen, causing him to burn more quickly. Roll the smoldering child on the ground or in a rug. If a youngster breaks through the ice, have him kick his feet and wriggle to a solid surface. Kerosene is an accelerant: try not to mix it with an open flame unless an escape route is cleared. Stay in single file. Don't scratch and never put that in your mouth. The eyes are the most vulnerable part of the wolf. When cornered, jab something pointy into this area."

The pictures are great, especially for anyone familiar with 1960s cooking/food "art".

Now I must return to my outline for the most boring lecture imaginable - The Syllabus and... (where "and..." is anything we're lucky enough to cover after we finish dissecting the syllabus). I always start out with the intention to be minimal, to not read them my syllabus because wow it's so damned boring. But then while I'm deciding which parts I need to underscore by going over them in class, I recall problems which occured during past semesters, problems which felt like they maybe could have been avoided if I'd gone over that part of my syllabus in more detail. The next thing you know I have schematics up on powerpoint slides and pie charts of the grading rubric. I realize this is excessive and I'm finding myself quickly tiring of it so no doubt I will soon settle on the middle of the road, then skip about half of that when I'm actually presenting it.

No comments: