Monday, June 30, 2008

Out of the tower

I've spent the last few months doing a good deal of repackaging as I try to make a less than rocky transition out of an academic, teaching/research career path. There are several challenges in this, some unique to me and my situations and some I believe shared. Given my health status, any direct consideration of career involves evoking that anxiety producing question "what CAN I do?" I'm not talking what kinds of jobs will I be happy with or what kinds of work do I have the skills to do. I'm talking at a basic level - what do I reliably have the energy, physical fortitude, and emotional and cognitive resources to do? But that's me and my health, which is an issue I do try to save the in depth discussion of for a different blog these days.

Shared among myself and anyone who is at or considering approaching such a boundary are the more general questions like "how does all this experience I've racked up in the traditional academic track translate into a less traditional or completely non-academic career?" "Do I need to start at entry level in a new job (say, in human resources) or can I reasonably expect to be attractive to employers seeking experienced, mid to upper level workers?"

Probably this is a topic I will return to as I am in the throws of another job search. My current job ends in about two weeks and so far I've sent out resumes but haven't heard back from any prospects. My brother assures me this is in no small part due to both the crappy economy plus the post-graduation resume flood - and he says that as summer wears on and hiring managers work their way through the stacks of replies to job postings, I will probably hear something. Of course, that doesn't address the economic problems and the tight job market. Still, I have no choice but to try to be an optimist, to keep going and to keep looking as much as the process sucks. While I wait, and keep searching, and keep sending resumes and cover letters, I intend to post here about some of it. Well, what I can stand to anyway. For now, I present a nice article on translating your CV into a resume, again from The Chronicle of Higher Education.

2 comments:

WinterWheat said...

Oh, hon, I wish you the best of luck. You're SO smart; I think your issue is going to be finding a suitable position that stimulates you. You could get bored easily. Given your amazing linguistic skills and training, what kinds of jobs are you seeking?

PFG said...

I know that it's not likely I'm going to find something right out of the gate that is going to be super. I'm sort of banking on that actually, otherwise I'd be doing this job search closer to where I'd like to live (MA, Ann Arbor) and not here in CT. I'd like to edit, but I'm not holding out much hope for that. I like working with adult learners and I'm really good at not assuming shared knowledge (e.g. not jumping right into using jargon in describing software or hardware), so I'm looking at training/HR type stuff. But we'll see. At the moment, I think I'd be ok with something relatively brainless providing it's humane hours and a decent wage. I've got plenty of stim from family (mine and A___'s) currently. I just want a place that is stable and decent, for now.