Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Shameless

A website I visit frequenly has an annoying ad on it. It's for a drink being promoted by a chain coffee shop. The tag line is "Snack Shamelessly" and it features the drink being held up close to the viewer by a rather young and wholesome looking young woman who is smiling around her finger, which is stuck in her mouth.

It's the pinky finger.
Because she's dainty and wholesome.

What's amusing, ok well one thing that is amusing, is that when I first read the logo, I read it as "Smack shamelessly". Which to me made somewhat more sense with the young lady presumably having made such a mess that she has to suck it off her fingers, you know, noisily, because it's so yummy and you want to get all of it, even that bit that dripped down the side. Turns out it's just another annoying reference to weight and food guilt. Complete with a sexualized image.

Here's this wholesome young lady who has finally found a guilt free way to enjoy herself. She's snacking so shamelessly on her topical fruit smoothie that she's thrown all decorum to the wind and is sucking her own fingers. Has the smoothie aroused some hidden lust demon in her?

I suppose we should be thankful this shameless hussy still has the decency to suck on a doughnut shop straw and her own finger rather than channel her shameless decadence into other sucking activities.

Update: It now also has text that says "I feel so good. Do you?" This is so close to "was it good for you" that I want to punch the monitor. What's super odd is that the food guilt supposition seems so very female targeted yet this written message is very stereotypically heterosexually male focused. Oh wait! I think I have it. Maybe it's the smoothie who is stating that it feels good and asking the woman if it was good for her too. Silly me attributing animism and agenthood to the female in an ad. Shoulda known the smoothie was doing the talking. I mean, of course that chick can't talk - what with her finger stuck in her mouth and all.

No comments: